The UNESCO World Heritage site of Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe does not just consist of famous structures such as the Hercules Monument, Wilhelmshöhe Palace or the castle of Löwenburg. It also encompasses numerous small buildings scattered all over the gesamtkunstwerk of the Bergpark.
The southern part of the park features a special highlight: the village of Mulang. Commissioned by Friedrich II in 1782, the village was built in the »Chinese« style by Simon Louis Du Ry (1726–1799). On the one hand, it owes its existence to the fashion of the day for all things Chinese; on the other, creating whole villages to feature as parts of the supposedly natural landscape parks was a trend of contemporary gardening. The »Chinese« look of the buildings also reflects the fact that Chinese agriculture of the day was considered highly progressive, the foundation of a flourishing body politic. To prove the authenticity of the village, actual farming was going on in the park. Today only a few buildings have survived: the Pagoda, the Kitchen and the Dairy as well as some residential houses, the former cowshed, and the cottages on Mulangstraße.